COUNTY OF PLACER
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, JANUARY 23, 2007
F.C. “Rocky” Rockholm, District 1 Thomas Miller, County Executive
Robert Weygandt, District 2 Anthony J. La Bouff, County Counsel
Jim Holmes, District 3, Vice Chairman Rich Colwell, Chief Assistant County Executive
Kirk Uhler, District 4 Mike Boyle, Assistant County Executive
Bruce Kranz, District 5, Chairman Holly Heinzen, Assistant County Executive
Ann Holman, Clerk of the Board
County Administrative Center, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603
Placer County is committed to ensuring that persons with disabilities are provided the resources to participate fully in its public meetings. If you are hearing impaired, we have listening devices available. If you require additional disability-related modifications or accommodations, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact the Clerk of the Board. If requested, the agenda shall be provided in appropriate alternative formats to persons with disabilities. All requests must be in writing and must be received by the Clerk five business days prior to the scheduled meeting for which you are requesting accommodation. Requests received after such time will be accommodated only if time permits.
FLAG SALUTE – Led by Supervisor Uhler.
STATEMENT OF MEETING PROCEDURES - Read by Clerk.
PUBLIC COMMENT: Persons may address the Board on items not on this agenda. Please limit comments to 3 minutes per person since the time allocated for Public Comment is 15 minutes. If all comments cannot be heard within the 15-minute time limit, the Public Comment period will be taken up at the end of the regular session. The Board is not permitted to take any action on items addressed under Public Comment.
SUPERVISOR’S COMMITTEE REPORTS:
CONSENT AGENDA (Pages 5-7) - All items on the Consent Agenda (Items 12 thru 22) have been recommended for approval by the County Executive Department. All items will be approved by a single roll call vote. Anyone may ask to address Consent items prior to the Board taking action, and the item may be moved for discussion
TIMED ITEMS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE TIME SHOWN
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND CONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY
1. IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY (PDF) (File is over 1MB) - Approve and authorize the Chairman to sign the Memorandum of Understanding between United Domestic Workers of America and the Placer County In-Home Supportive Services Public Authority, subject to prior ratification by the represented independent providers.
ADJOURN AS THE PLACER COUNTY IN-HOME SUPPORTIVE SERVICES PUBLIC AUTHORITY
AND RECONVENE AS THE PLACER COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
2. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING/ZONING TEXT AMENDMENT (PZTA20050609) NEGATIVE DECLARATION (PDF) (File is over 2MB)– Public hearing to consider adoption of an ordinance amending Placer County Code, Chapter 17 (Zoning Ordinance) to Modify Section 17.04.030 (Definitions) regarding public utility facilities.
3. SHERIFF (PDF) - Authorization to fill and fund two vacant deputy sheriff’s positions with Cal-Met funding and approve the associated budget revision, in the amount of $208,000. The positions would be assigned to Special Investigations Unit to support the Placer Meth Program, Placer County’s campaign against methamphetamine abuse and sales.
4. COUNTY EXECUTIVE (PDF) - Accept the Helicopter Acquisition Feasibility Study Report and approve the following recommendations regarding the acquisition of a new helicopter for the Placer County Sheriff’s Office Aviation Program.
1. Initiate the following purchase and authorize the Purchasing Manager to execute all documents associated with sole-source purchase of an Aerostar AS350 B3 from American Eurocopter located in Plano, Texas, at an estimated cost of $2.5 million;
2. Approve a Budget Revision in the amount of $1 million from the Contribution to Infrastructure account to augment the $1.5 million previously set aside to purchase the items identified in 1 above and add this item to the Master Fixed Asset List. This Budget Revision consists of a loan from the County’s General Fund, in the amount of $1 million, to be repaid with FY 2007-08 Public Safety Sales Tax Revenues;
3. Direct County Executive and Sheriff’s Offices to pursue funding partnerships with local jurisdictions and other potential funding partners on one-time contributions, potential grant partnerships, and expanded on-going funding and staffing contributions;
4. Develop Memorandum of Understanding agreements for reimbursement of fire support services with the California Department of Forestry (CDF) and the United States Forest Service (USFS);
5. Formalize mutual aid agreements with the Sacramento Sheriff’s Office, Sacramento Police Department and the California Highway Patrol for helicopter support services;
6. Direct County Executive and Sheriff’s Offices to develop a full-funding approach for the estimated one-time acquisition costs of $3.6 million ($2.5 million for aircraft, $938,400 for related mission equipment, and $173,200 for a 5% contingency) and on-going operational costs of $1.1 million (an annual increase of $398,000) associated with the operation of the new helicopter as part of the FY 2007-08 budget process.
5. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/CAPITAL FACILITIES IMPACT FEE (PDF) (File is over 2MB)- Public hearing to consider adoption of a new Capital Facilities Impact Fee for Animal Services facilities. (1) Make findings relative to implementation of the fee, adopt a resolution approving related documents which provide the basis for the Animal Service Facility Impact Fee Program and adopt a resolution setting Animal Services Capital Facility Impact Fees within Placer County. (2) Make a formal request to Placer County city/town councils to adopt the new Animal Services impact fee in their jurisdictions. (Continued from 12-5-06)
6. PUBLIC WORKS/COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/ROCK SADDLE SUBDIVISION:
a. Public Works, County Service Area 28, Zone of Benefit 195 (PDF) - Public hearing to consider all protests, tabulate ballots, and adoption of a resolution creating Zone of Benefit #195 and setting charges to provide road rehabilitation, storm drain maintenance and street light services.
b. Community Development Resource Agency/Engineering & Surveying (PDF) - Approve the final map, Subdivision Improvement Agreement and authorize the recording of the project, located on Greenbrae Road, in an unincorporated area surrounded by the City of Rocklin.
7. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY:
a. Planning Appeal/Planning Commission Denial of a Modification to a Conditional Use Permit and Appeal of Code Enforcement Fines (PCPMT20060224/PCPM20040013) Safe N Sound Storage Mitigated Negative Declaration (EIAQ-3702) (PDF) (File is over 2MB)- Public hearing to consider the appeal from Mark Correnti for the denial of a Conditional Use Permit Modification requesting that Conditions 13 and 16 be modified as follows: 1) removal of the requirement that an easement be created for the access and maintenance of stormwater collection facilities (Condition 13); and 2) a modification of the frontage improvement requirement to reduce the sidewalk width of 6 feet to 4 feet (Condition 16). The property (APN 052-020-047) is 2.5 acres located at 12381 Locksley Lane, Auburn area, and currently zoned INP-Dc (Industrial Park, combining Design Scenic Corridor). The Board will consider adoption of a Mitigated Negative Declaration for the project (EIAQ-3702). (Continued from 12-5-06) Appellant has requested a 30-day continuance.
1. Vote to consider whether to hear a Code Enforcement fee appeal pursuant to Section 17.60.110.D3. Appellant has requested a 30-day continuance.
2. Consider appeal by Mark and Kathy Correnti of the Chief Building Official’s August 17, 2006 decision to require payment of Code Enforcement cost, in the amount of, $425.00, for the time period of October 20, 2004 through January 24, 2006.
Appellant has requested a 30-day continuance.
8. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLACER COUNTY CONSERVATION PLAN (PCCP), FINANCIAL ANALYSIS AND PRIORITIZATION OF RESERVE MAP ALTERNATIVES:
1. Provide staff direction with regard to continued efforts relative to the Placer County Conservation Plan.
2. Discussion of alternative scenarios with direction as to whether staff should proceed with a negotiated process based on a PCCP alternative that also qualified as the “Least Environmentally Damaging Practicable Alternate” (LEDPA), and identification of a preferred alternative reserve map as the basis to commence negotiations with the State and Federal agencies.
3. Provide other direction to staff as appropriate.
Files over 1MB noted
Alternative 1 (PDF) Alternative 2 (PDF) Alternative 3 (PDF) Alternative 3a (PDF) Alternative 3b (PDF) Alternative 4 (PDF) Alternative 5 (PDF) Alternative 6 (PDF) Alternative 7 (PDF) Alternative 8 (PDF) Alternative 9 (PDF) Alternative 10 (PDF) Alternative 11 (PDF) Alternative 12 (PDF) Alternative 13 (PDF) Alternative 14 (PDF)
Correspondence (PDF) (3MB)
DEPARTMENT ITEMS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR ACTION AS TIME ALLOWS
9. PUBLIC WORKS/COUNTY SERVICE AREA (CSA) 28, ZONE OF BENEFIT 170, WESTERN KNOLLS (PDF) - Public hearing to consider all protests, tabulate ballots and adopt a resolution annexing Parcel 1 and Parcel 2 of Parcel Map P-76034 into the CSA and set a charge for services.
10. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS/REVENUE SHARING – In approving the following appropriations, the Placer County Board of Supervisors makes the finding that each and every approved contribution serves a public purpose by promoting the general welfare of the County and its inhabitants; therefore, the County benefits.
a. Approve appropriation in the amount of $150 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Del Oro High School Golden Eagle Band Crab Feed (PDF) , as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
b. Approve appropriation in the amount of $1,500 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Lazarus Project for the 7th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Dinner Celebration (PDF) , as requested by Supervisor Rockholm and Supervisor Uhler ($750 each).
c. Approve appropriation in the amount of $150 in Revenue Sharing monies to the Oakmont High School for the 2007 Sober Grad Night (PDF) , as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
Pursuant to the cited authority (all references are to the Government Code), the Board of Supervisors will hold a closed session to discuss the following listed items. A report of any action taken will be presented prior to adjournment.
(A) §54956.9 - CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL
(1) Existing Litigation:
(a) Lisa Wipfler vs. County of Placer County, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-20239
(b) John Doe vs. Arnold Schwarzenegger, et al., U.S.D.C. Eastern District Court Case No.: 2:06-cv-2521-LKK- GHH.
(c) Selso and Jane Vargas vs. County of Placer, Placer County Superior Court Case No.: SCV-20140.
(B) §54957.6 - CONFERENCE WITH LABOR NEGOTIATOR
(a) Agency negotiator: CEO/Personnel Director
Employee organization: PPEO/DSA/Management
CLOSED SESSION REPORT:
12. ORDINANCE – Second Reading:
a. Board of Supervisors (PDF) - Ordinance providing for appointment of staff for members of the Board of Supervisors.
b. Personnel (PDF) - Ordinance amending Chapter 3, Section 3.12.010, Appendix 1 and Section 3.12.020, revising the classification specification of Hunter-Trapper, which includes a title change from Hunter-Trapper to Wildlife Specialist.
13. BOARD OF SUPERVISORS:
a. Approve one-year District Aide Employment Agreement with Linda Brown (PDF) for general administrative and technical assistance to District 1 Supervisor, starting January 8, 2007.
b. Approve one-year District Aide Employment Agreement with Brian Jagger (PDF) for general administrative and technical assistance to District 4 Supervisor, starting January 2, 2007.
14. COMMITTEES & COMMISSIONS:
a. County Parks Commission (PDF) – Approve reappointment of Ronald Gilman to Seat 2 (District 2), as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
b. Economic Development Board (PDF) – Approve reappointment of Tami Brodnik to Seat 1 (District 1), as requested by Supervisor Rockholm and William M. Radakovitz to Seat 2 (District 2), as requested by Supervisor Weygandt.
c. Foresthill Forum Advisory Council (PDF) – Approve reappointment of Don Robinson to Seat 1, Gail McCafferty to Seat 2, Martha E. Vroege to Seat 3, Keith Drone to Seat 4, Cynthia Wardleigh to Seat 5, Larry Jordan to Seat 6 and Brenda Dabovich to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
d. Granite Bay Municipal Advisory Council (PDF) - Approve reappointment of Steve Nash to Seat 1, Craig Powell to Seat 2, Jill Ernst to Seat 3, Walter A. Pekarsky to Seat 4, David Kaiser to Seat 5, Sean Corcoran to Seat 6 and Virg Anderson to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Uhler.
e. In-Home Support Services Advisory Committee (PDF) – Accept resignation of Ruth Lindsley, Seat 3 (Service Recipient).
f. Meadow Vista Municipal Advisory Council (PDF) – Approve reappointment of Maureen O’Connell to Seat 1, Bill Johnston to Seat 2, Gene Cain to Seat 3, Diana Brittner to Seat 6 and Don Guiles to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
g. North Tahoe Regional Municipal Advisory Council (PDF) – Approve reappointment of Jan Brisco to Seat 1, Jim Williamson to Seat 5, Tom Turner to Seat 6, Walter Auerbach to Seat 8 (At Large) and Terry Dyer to Seat 9 (At Large), as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
h. Placer County Resource Conservation District (PDF) – Approve appointment of Scott Harvey to Seat 2 (At Large) and Donald J. Nelson to Seat 5 (At Large).
i. Squaw Valley Municipal Advisory Council (PDF) – Approve reappointment of Ellen Hudson to Seat 1, Russell Poulsen to Seat 2, Charles Luckhardt to Seat 3, Sidney Crockett to Seat 4, Kevin Strange to Seat 5, William J. Collins to Seat 6 and Christian Denis to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
j. Weimar/Applegate/Colfax Municipal Advisory Council (PDF) – Approve reappointment of James West to Seat 1, Daniel Dove to Seat 2, John J. Greene lll to Seat 3, Marilynn Tausch to Seat 5, David Wiltsee to Seat 6 and Kurt Sandhoff to Seat 7, as requested by Supervisor Kranz.
k. West Placer Citizens Municipal Advisory Council (PDF) – Approve reappointment of Claudette A. Mitchel-Wiesmantel to Seat 1, Barry Stillman to Seat 2, George Brown to Seat 3, Dixie Aller to Seat 4 and Terry Dee Webb to Seat 5 as requested by Supervisor Rockholm.
15. COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT RESOURCE AGENCY/PLANNING APPEAL/OWENS MAP MODIFICATION (PSM20060708) (PDF) - Approve the applicant’s request for a 30 day extension of time on their appeal of the Planning Commission’s denial of their Subdivision Map Modification, in the Serene Lakes area.
16. COUNTY EXECUTIVE/LEGISLATION - Authorize the Chairman to sign a letter supporting House Resolution 17 (PDF) - the “Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Reauthorization Act of 2007” that will extend the expired act through FY 2013. Additionally, authorize the Chairman to sign a letter to Congress to request the support of a one-year extension of the expired act in the Continuing Resolution that must be approved by February 15, 2007.
17. FACILITY SERVICES:
a. Authorize Procurement Services to issue a purchase order with the Keller Group (PDF) , in an amount not to exceed $54,500, for modular office furniture through the Master Services Agreement, for Property Management Division offices in Building 210, at the Placer County Government Center.
b. Resolution authorizing the Facility Services Director to execute an agency agreement and related work plans with the Resource Conservation District (PDF) , in an amount not to exceed $30,000, for natural resource related issues associated with projects undertaken by the Department in FY 2006/07.
c. Resolution of Intention setting the time and date to hold a public hearing to consider the annexation of property owned by Gordie and Patti Mason (PDF) APN 076-030-057, into the boundaries of Sewer Maintenance District #1. Subject property is located on Creekhaven Road in Auburn.
18. HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES/ANIMAL SERVICES (PDF) - Approve contract with Roberta Lynn Peterson, D.V.M. from January 24, 2007 through December 31, 2007, in an amount not to exceed $65,000, for on-site veterinary services and authorize the Director of Health & Human Services to sign the contract and subsequent amendments.
19. PERSONNEL (PDF) - Resolution of Intention and introduction of an ordinance amending the California Public Employees Retirement System Local Safety Member contract to provide the $3,000 Retired Death Benefit in accordance with the existing Memorandum of Understanding as approved by the Board on July 13, 2004, with the Placer County Deputy Sheriffs Association, for an annual cost of $23,000.
20. PROCUREMENT SERVICES - In accordance with County Policy, non-contested bids under $250,000 are placed on the Consent Agenda. Authorize the Purchasing Manager to sign the following:
a. Bid #9624, Purchase of Vehicles/Public Works (PDF) – Award purchase of one vehicle from Maita Chevrolet of Elk Grove and three vehicles from Broadway Ford of Oakland, in the aggregate amount of $77,845.61.
b. Bid #9626, Thermaland Site Development Project/Administrative Services (PDF) – Award competitive bid to Manuel Bros., Inc., and approve the plans and specifications for the project, in the amount of $228,037.60.
21. PUBLIC WORKS/AUBURN FOLSOM ROAD WIDENING PROJECT (PDF) – Resolution approving the Right-of-Way Contract and accept the Highway Easement Deed and Public Utility Easement Deed from Micherra LLC.
a. Accept a vehicle donation from Search and Rescue (PDF) , a non-profit organization, in the estimated amount of $115,000, to be used in Placer County Search and Rescue operations and add it to the Master Fixed Asset List. Based on a review from the County’s Fleet Services, the existing van will be stripped and used for transport of equipment for the critical accident response team or for the initial response during critical incidents.
b. Approve out-of-state travel for Deputy Michael Powers to travel to Del Ray Beach (PDF) , Florida for ten days, as required for Public Safety SCUBA train-the-trainer instruction as part of his position on the Dive Team. Travel and training costs are estimated at $3,990.
***End of Consent Agenda***
ITEMS FOR INFORMATION:
23. TREASURER/TAX COLLECTOR (PDF) - Treasurer’s Statement for the month of December 2006.
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ 2007 MEETING SCHEDULE:
February 06, 2007
February 20, 2007
March 06, 2007
March 20, 2007
April 02, 2007 (Tahoe)
April 03, 2007 (Tahoe)
April 17, 2007