Food Safety Certification

There are two types of Food Safety Certificates required for food service employees in California:

  • Food Safety Manager Certification
  • Food Handler Card

Food Safety Manager Certification

All Food Facilities (except Temporary Event Vendors) doing any preparation of potentially hazardous foods are required to have, at minimum, one certified Food Safety Manager on staff. There are a number of options available to schedule an exam and become certified. For a complete list, please see the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) list of accredited Food Safety Manager Certification providers.

Placer County offers a one day class through National Registry of Food Safety Professionals. The class is offered in Auburn four times a year and in Tahoe twice a year. Both classes are filled on a "first come, first served" basis. Once your application and fee are processed a confirmation letter will be mailed to you. If you do not receive a confirmation letter, please call Environmental Health to verify that your application has been received and you have been placed in the class. Books and exams are also available in Spanish. View the following flyers to learn more about the classes:


For the Truckee food class, please contact Nevada County Environmental Health at 530-265-1222.

Class Locations & Maps

  • Auburn Class - Animal Services: Ambassador Room Map (PDF)
  • Tahoe Class - Tahoe Administration Center Conference Room Map

Food Handler Card

Any employee that handles food or utensils in any facility that prepares potentially hazardous foods, and does not have a Food Safety Managers Certificate, is required to possess a valid Food Handlers Card as part of their employment. Please see the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) list of accredited providers for a complete list of options to obtain your Food Handler Card.

The Food Handler card also meets the Cottage Food Training Requirement. For a complete guide to all Food Handler Card requirements, please review the Food Handler Card Guidelines (PDF) provided by the California Conference of Directors of Environmental Health.