Women, Infants, & Children (WIC)
WIC’s Response to COVID-19
As an essential service, WIC continues to operate during the pandemic in order to provide important and necessary services to families. In the interest of protecting the health and safety of our WIC families as well as our team members, our offices remain closed to the public until further notice.
While our offices remain closed to the public, all appointments and benefits are being provided virtually (by phone). Unless instructed by one of our staff members, please do NOT visit our office locations during this time.
We are closely monitoring updates and guidance from the CDC, and we will adjust our response as needed. This page will be updated as the situation progresses, please check back here for more information.
New to WIC
If your income has been affected by COVID-19, or if you are pregnant or have a child under age 5 and need assistance, please Apply for Services. Men, dads, grandparents, foster parents, and caretakers are all welcome to apply for WIC benefits for their children under age 5. WIC is also not considered a part of public charge. It is safe to use and does not affect immigration status for anyone who is currently in the U.S. The WIC application process can be completed by phone, and you will receive your food benefits within a few days if you qualify.
Enrolled in WIC
In order to serve you and continue to provide your benefits in a safe, efficient, and effective manner, we ask that you do the following:
- If you DO NOT have an appointment, please call us at 916 784-6447 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have MISSED your appointment, please call us at 916 784-6447 or email us at email@example.com
- If you have a SCHEDULED appointment, please be available around the time of your appointment to receive a call from your WIC counselor. The call may come from a blocked phone number. In addition, make sure to email any required documents we have asked you to email a few hours before your appointment.
Your Benefits May Be Available
Due to COVID-19, benefits may be automatically added to your WIC card. Please use the California WIC App or call 844.469.3264 to check your food balance.
If benefits HAVE BEEN added to your card:
- Review your benefits balance to ensure it looks correct.
- Review your benefits start and end dates, as this may have changed.
- We will be in contact with you to schedule your next appointment.
If your benefit balance looks incorrect, or if you need to make changes to your foods, please call us at 916 784-6447. If everything looks correct, there is no need to follow up, and you can begin using your benefits as soon as they are available to you.
If benefits HAVE NOT been added to your card:
- We will provide your benefits during your next scheduled appointment.
- If you don’t have a scheduled appointment, please call us at 916 784-6447 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have not yet received your WIC card, we can mail it to you
- Call us at 916 784-6447 or email us at email@example.com with your name, mailing address, and date of birth to request your WIC card by mail. We will notify you by phone or email when your card has been mailed and you can expect to receive it within 5 business days. Visit www.myfamily.wic.ca.gov to watch a video about the new WIC card.
WIC is a Supplemental Nutrition Program which helps families eat well, be active and stay healthy.
WIC helps families by providing:
- WIC Card - WIC provides a special electonic benefit card (EBT) for healthy foods for each participant on the program. The WIC card can be used at authorized WIC vendors/grocers to buy specific types and quantities of food. To view a complete WIC shopping guide, click the button to the right.
- Nutrition Information - WIC provides information about nutrition and health to help you and your family eat well and be healthy.
- Breastfeeding Support - WIC provides new and expecting moms with information and resources to get them ready to feed their new babies.
- Referrals - WIC can help you and your family find a healthcare provider and medical home and provide referrals to other social services such as Medi-Cal, CalWorks, CalFresh and more depending on your individual needs.
The purpose of WIC is to improve the health of families during critical times of growth and development.
Do I Qualify:
To qualify for WIC, you must meet income guidelines (PDF) (CDPH) and be in any of the categories below:
- A pregnant woman
- A woman breastfeeding a baby under 1 year of age
- A woman who had a baby or was pregnant in the past 6 months
- A baby up to his or her first birthday
- A child up to his or her fifth birthday
You may qualify if you receive Medi-Cal, CalWORKs (TANF) or CalFresh (SNAP) benefits. Babies and children cared for by their fathers, other guardians, or foster parents are also eligible. Working families and migrant families are also welcome to apply.
Apply Here for benefits online.
To determine if you qualify for WIC, please contact the WIC Program by calling 916-784-6447 or 530-889-7187, or by emailing the program.
The WIC staff will give you an enrollment appointment and directions to the nearest office. At your appointment, WIC staff will check to see if you and your family qualify. All persons enrolling in WIC must be present at the enrollment appointment.
You can also visit one of the following office locations for more information:
What do I bring to my first WIC appointment?
- Bring the following for Each person who will be enrolling into the WIC program
- Identification - for yourself & any children age birth to 5 years
- Proof of address - a document verifying your current address
- Proof of income - current documents such as a paycheck, tax return or letter from employer
What should I expect at my first WIC appointment?
- A review of the WIC program services & benefits, including "How to use your WIC checks" Welcome to WIC video
- An Individualized Nutrition Assessment for each qualifying member of your family
Learn about the special programs for WIC participants, including breastfeeding support, Dental Days and Farmer's Markets,Link to page
WIC Debit CardLink to page
Farmer's MarketLink to page
Oral HealthLink to page
Breastfeeding SupportLink to page
Breastfeeding Peer CounselorLink to page