Encroachment Permits

An Encroachment Permit is required for any work within a Placer County maintained highway easement, or right-of-way. Examples of work requiring an encroachment permit are:

  • Doing any work within a County road easement
  • Placing a utility line (water, sewer, stormwater pipe, gas, cable, etc.) under the road or within the road shoulder
  • Residential driveway connection
  • Using the County road for a special event

Encroachment Permit Types

Types of Encroachment Permits processed at the Community Development Resource Center front counter are:

  • Minor utility work
  • Parking permits
  • Recordable permits for improvements located within the right-of-way
  • Residential driveway
  • Special events
  • Traffic control

The Department of Public Works and Facilities (DPWF) conditions these permits and inspects the work prior to permit sign-off. Applicants should apply directly in person at either the Auburn or Tahoe City office Front Counter locations.

Permit Documents

Utility Encroachment Permit

Plans for utility undergrounding projects (water, sewer, gas, cable, etc.) within the County right-of-way are reviewed by the Engineering and Surveying Division (ESD), with the utility company or applicant paying for at-cost review and inspection services to the County and the ESD issuing the Utility Encroachment Permit after DPWF approval.

To apply, a completed Utility Encroachment Permit Application (PDF), a completed Project Data Sheet (DOC), and 5 copies of plans for the proposed work shall be submitted directly to the ESD, Auburn office (regardless of project location within Placer County). Applications may be sent to:
Rich Kai
Engineering and Surveying Division
3091 County Center Drive
Suite 120
Auburn, CA 95603

Permit Documents