During the early 1900s, Placer County residents were served by three independent city libraries in Auburn, Lincoln and Roseville. All these library facilities were built by funds from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation, which supported the construction of many public libraries in California and throughout the nation.
In 1909, the Legislature of the State of California passed the County Free Library Law and ushered in an exciting era in the development of library services throughout the state. Due primarily to the volunteer efforts of Mrs. K.D. Robinson, the Placer County Board of Supervisors approved the establishment of a County Library system in 1937.
The new County Library was headquartered in the basement of the Auburn Public Library, where it shared space with the Auburn City Council and Chief of Police. Branches and stations (deposit collections in homes, stores, etc.) were established in various parts of the county, and some schools joined the system. The system grew and by 1949, it required larger accommodations. In 1958, County Library headquarters moved to the Shepard Square Building on High Street in Auburn.
In 1967, the Auburn Public Library and the Placer County Library were consolidated to create the Auburn-Placer County Library. This merger made possible a new library building supported by Federal library construction grant funds. Prior to moving into the current library facility on Nevada Street in Auburn, the library was temporarily located at Palm Center and later at the Dewitt Center.
Read each location's story.
Additional Historical Resources
Take a trip into the past -visit Placer County of the 1880s. See the historic and digitized "Placer County California. Its Resources and Advantages" (A Region Little Advertised, but Full of Merit).