COUNTY FILM PERMIT
PDF formatted files require Adobe Reader
County film permits are required for commercial media productions (including print), and student media productions, if filming on:
- County-owned property.
- Private property in unincorporated Placer County areas
FILM PERMIT COST: Free!
We have a goal of issuing film permits within 24-48 hours once the application is received and verified as complete. Applications with additional needs such as road closures, traffic control, drone, safety concerns, and others, will require more time.
APPLICATION - COUNTY FILM PERMIT
- FIRST TIME APPLYING FOR A FILM PERMIT? IT STARTS BY REGISTERING FOR THE APPLICATION.
- ALREADY REGISTERED? RESUMING AN APPLICATION? WANT TO CHECK STATUS?
- QUESTIONS ON HOW TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION? See FAQ.
- UPLOADING ATTACHMENTS It may be required to attach various documents during the application process. This may include proof of insurance, drone documents, drone insurance, traffic plan, student information, SFX and pyro licenses, etc., it depends on the nature of the activity proposed. We strongly recommend you assemble the necessary documents before starting the application so you have them in hand when you get to the Attachments tab. Here’s a checklist of the attachments that may be required.
- General Insurance Policy for Filming
- Applications will not be processed without appropriate, current & verified insurance, including drone coverage, if applicable.
LAKE TAHOE & FILM PERMITTING (eastern Placer County)
The communities in the Lake Tahoe basin within Placer County are primarily unincorporated areas. County policy requires film permits when filming in unincorporated Placer County, including private properties. In addition, there are many State and Federal lands with separate film permit regulations and requirements. Contact our office for additional information.
The following six incorporated cities in Placer County have their own film permitting requirements. Please contact the appropriate jurisdictions below for more information.
STATE & FEDERAL PERMIT INFORMATION
These links are provided as a courtesy and do not represent a complete list of the state and federal agencies located in Placer County. The Film Office can assist in providing contacts to many other jurisdictions and which may have permits and procedures for filming within their jurisdictions.