Portable Equipment Permitting and Registration

Portable Equipment Requirements

In order to legally operate portable equipment in Placer County, the equipment must have a Placer County Air Pollution Control District (PCAPCD) permit or a certificate of registration from the California Air Resources Board's (CARB) Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP). This includes all portable engines and engine-driven equipment greater than 50 horsepower. Anyone operating this type of equipment without a PCAPCD permit or CARB registration is subject to penalties pursuant to Section 42402 of the California Health and Safety Code.

Portable engines include, but are not limited to, internal combustion engines used in the following:

  • cranes
  • power generation
  • pumps
  • diesel pile-driving hammers
  • welding
  • service or work-over rigs
  • well drilling
  • dredges on boats or barges
  • wood chippers
  • tactical support equipment
  • compressors
  • vacuum trucks
  • concrete pumping
  • street sweeping

Portable equipment units include, but are not limited to, the following portable engine-associated units:

  • confined and unconfined abrasive blasting operations
  • concrete batch plants
  • sand and gravel screening
  • rock and pavement crushing and recycling
  • tub grinders and trammel screens

PERP Registration

Click Here For The Final Regulation Order For The Portable Equipment Registration Program (pdf)  

How To Get Into the Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP)?

The Statewide Portable Equipment Registration Program (PERP), established in 1997, has emission standards that engines must satisfy. As a consequence all portable engines are not automatically eligible for registration. Certified engines which have been tested by the U.S. EPA or the ARB and meet the most current federal off-road engine emission standards are eligible for the PERP. Older engines that do not meet the most stringent California emissions standards such as those designated as Tier 1, 2 and some Tier 3 engineswill not be accepted into the PERP Program.

Critical Engine Registration Requirements

June 30, 2014

This will be the last day ARB will accept initial registration applications for Interim Tier 4 engines rated from 175 bhp to 750 bhp.

Effective July 1, 2014

For initial registration into PERP, all diesel engines must meet the following certification tier levels:

  • 50 to 74 bhp - Final Tier 4
  • 75 to 174 bhp - Interim Tier 4
  • 175 to 750 bhp - Final Tier 4
  • Over 750 bhp - Interim Tier 4
  • Or, for all power categories - Flex engines certified under the flexibility provisions of Federal 40 CFR 1039.625, or CFR 89.102, or California Code of Regulations section 2423 (d).

Owners of portable engines and equipment wishing to register in PERP should visit the ARB online and download and fill out the necessary forms with all the required information. All PERP forms are available online ARB’s website .

Reporting and Recordkeeping

The reporting and recordkeeping requirements vary. If you own a registered portable equipment unit or engine, refer to the operating conditions that you receive with the registration for the specific recordkeeping requirements for your registered engine and/or equipment unit.

Required recordkeeping shall be made available to the District upon request.

For more information refer to the PERP Regulation Section 2458  Recordkeeping and Reporting.  Forms to help you meet recordkeeping and reporting requirements.  

Inspection Requirements

Within 45 days after initial issuance or renewal of a registration, the owner or operator shall contact the home district to arrange for inspection to be completed within one year of the initial registration or renewal date.

For More Information

Portable Equipment Registration Program Frequently Asked Questions (PERP FAQ)

Portable Equipment Registration Program Definitions (PERP Definitions)

Helpful Links:

  • Equipment Registration Program and Application Forms can be obtained by calling (916) 324-5869, via e-mail at portable@arb.ca.gov, or from the California Air Resources Board’s website .
  • Portable Equipment ATCM: Information concerning the State’s Airborne Toxic Control Measure for Diesel Particulate Matter from Portable Engines Rated at 50 Horsepower and Greater is available from the California Air Resources Board’s website. 
  • Placer County Air Pollution Control District Permitting: Permitting information may be obtained by contacting the District at (530) 745-2330, or from the District webpage.
  • Stationary Compression Engine ATCM: Information concerning the State’s Airborne Toxic Control Measure for Stationary Compression Engines is available from the California Air Resources Board’s website.